pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgraded HD, now pytivo push causes Tivo reboot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnakeByte

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Upgraded HD, now pytivo push causes Tivo reboot Reply with quote

I recently upgraded my tivo premiere 320GB drive to a 2TB Seagate 7200 rpm drive using the instructions found here:

http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/tivo_upgrade/

I noticed soon afterwards that any time I tried to push a video file to the Tivo via the pyTivo web interface (or via the Tivo TV interface pulling from the pyTivo share) that some time during the transfer of the file (Blue circle light is lit), the Tivo would reboot and sometimes cycle reboot repeatedly until I pulled the power cord and re-plugged back in.

Note that I never had this problem previously with the original drive and had not changed pyTivo at all. Thinking that the drive I upgraded was at fault, I re-did the upgrade of the original drive to a different 1TB Seagate 7200 drive, but found that this problem persists.

Is there a known issue with installing larger drives that eats up the resources of the Tivo and due to starvation issues causes these reboots? Or is there a known issue with the method used in the instructions above that could be causing this like "super-sizing" the drive?

If this is a starvation issue, is there a way to tell PyTivo to slow the transfer of bits across the network? Everything is on a wired 1gbit network.

I'm using the latest version of wmcbrine's fork (I think, how to check?) of PyTivo with this version of ffmpeg:

FFmpeg version SVN-r21659-rdian06-1.01-win-x86_32, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
built on Feb 6 2010 18:05:57 with gcc 4.4.0

I'm using Tivo's "Classic" menus too (much more stable).

Thanks for any help.
SnakeByte

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I didn't get a reply to my previous questions, maybe I can attack this a different way. Has anyone here who has a Tivo Premiere and who has upgraded their hard drive had any trouble with pytivo? If not, can you tell me the make and model of the hard drive that you purchased as the replacement drive?
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of this issue related to upgrading your TiVo drive. I have heard of transfers rebooting the TiVo but typically if the video is malformed or in some other way unacceptable to the TiVo which is not able to handle it.

I assume your upgraded drive has updated to the latest TiVo software (14.8 ) and that you have tried multiple types of files.

If you want to use wmcbrines latest snapshot then go here to download it.

Can you post the FFmpeg file info here for one of the files that reboots your TiVo?

Code:

C:\path\to\ffmpeg.exe -i \path\to\video\file

Can you turn debug logging on in your pyTivo settings? Then run the pyTivo.py script from a command prompt and post the output here after you have transferred a file that ends with a reboot of your TiVo?
dlfl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded HD, now pytivo push causes Tivo reboot Reply with quote

SnakeByte wrote:
I recently upgraded my tivo premiere 320GB drive to a 2TB Seagate 7200 rpm drive using the instructions found here:

http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/tivo_upgrade/

That rosswalker link for upgrade instructions is new to me ... where did you get it? I searched the drive expansion thread on TCF for "rosswalker" and got no hits.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: