pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transfer recorded shows between two TiVo Premier Elites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> General
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffreyF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Transfer recorded shows between two TiVo Premier Elites Reply with quote

I have two TiVo Premier Elite units. I would like to transfer a number of recorded shows from one TiVo Premier to the other. Currently, this is a very slow and frustrating process using the built-in TiVo software as I can only transfer one show at a time.

Questions:

1. Would pyTivo allow me to select a folder, a group, or multiple files to transfer from one TiVo Premier to another TiVo Premier

2. Is there a way for the TiVo with the recorded shows to see if a recording is already on the other TiVo Premier. If the show exists on both, it would skip the file transfer. If a show is not on the second TiVo Premier, the show would be transferred.

3. After a successful file transfer, the source file is deleted, or alternatively, I am able to delete recorded shows by gruops or multiple files.

Thank you in advance for your help.
wmcbrine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you can queue up multiple shows for transfer from the TiVo. You have to select them one by one, but you shouldn't have to babysit the actual transfer process.

pyTivo transfers between itself and a TiVo, not between two TiVos. You could start a batch transfer to pyTivo, marginally more easily than selecting them on the TiVo (just check them all and press a button), and you could follow that with a bulk push in the same way. But this process would lose metadata (due to the nature of push), and would be slower than TiVo-to-TiVo MRV. There is no facility for deleting files from pyTivo, in bulk or singly. And there are no conditional transfers.

JeffreyF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the comments.

I have been queuing up the recordings using the TiVo interface. However, with over 600 recordings, too much time is wasted doing this process.

If not pyTivo, is there another solution that would facilitate a transfer between two TiVo's?

wmcbrine wrote:
Actually you can queue up multiple shows for transfer from the TiVo. You have to select them one by one, but you shouldn't have to babysit the actual transfer process.

pyTivo transfers between itself and a TiVo, not between two TiVos. You could start a batch transfer to pyTivo, marginally more easily than selecting them on the TiVo (just check them all and press a button), and you could follow that with a bulk push in the same way. But this process would lose metadata (due to the nature of push), and would be slower than TiVo-to-TiVo MRV. There is no facility for deleting files from pyTivo, in bulk or singly. And there are no conditional transfers.
txporter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to do something using kmttg (TCF link) and his (moyekj) auto-push script. However, I agree with William that you would be best to just pull them from one to the other using the Tivo interface. It will be much faster in the long run since your Tivo will not need to remux the video into PS stream on the downward transfer and it eliminates the 2nd transfer for each program.
JeffreyF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update from my original posting. I have been successfully using KMTTG to transfer .tivo files to my computer. This provides me options to play as is on the computer or change coding and formats for other devices like the iPad.

That said, I have a need to transfer hundreds of recordings on a regular basis between my two TiVos.

My question is as follows:

If I use KMTTG to transfer the .tivo file to my PC, and have this file in the .tivo format, can I use your version of pyTivo to transfer these files from my PC to the second TiVo?

Although the copying process is being duplicated, as you correctly point out, the copying can be done with a few clicks instead of having to copy one file at a time.

Would pyTivo be able to transfer the .tivo format to the second TiVo in a manner that has it recognized in the same manner as doing a Tivo-to-Tivo copy (e.g. no additional manipulation required on the files for metadata or other formats)?

Jeffrey

wmcbrine wrote:

lpwcomp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyF wrote:
If I use KMTTG to transfer the .tivo file to my PC, and have this file in the .tivo format, can I use your version of pyTivo to transfer these files from my PC to the second TiVo?
Assuming you want to do it this way, it is actually simpler than that. You can configure kmttg to automatically queue up the pyTiVo push.

Besides the loss of metadata (most of which also happens with a direct transfer anyway), you should be aware of one other factor: While episodes of a series pushed to a TiVo will group together, they will not group with episodes recorded on or pulled to the TiVo.
JeffreyF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this setting in KMTTG and have tried it. I am currently receiving the error message:

This is not a valid video file to be pushed

I am looking to send a .tivo file download from the TiVo.

In KMTTG I have set the directly to C:\pyTivo\pyTivo.conf in the Config. with tivoFile selected as File to Push.

Any suggestions?

Also, when you say the recordings are not grouped are you saying they do not appear under one folder?

Jeffrey

lpwcomp wrote:
JeffreyF wrote:
Assuming you want to do it this way, it is actually simpler than that. You can configure kmttg to automatically queue up the pyTiVo push.

Besides the loss of metadata (most of which also happens with a direct transfer anyway), you should be aware of one other factor: While episodes of a series pushed to a TiVo will group together, they will not group with episodes recorded on or pulled to the TiVo.
wmcbrine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.TiVo files don't push directly; pyTivo has to decode them. I don't know what kmttg does about them. I don't really see an advantage to involving kmttg in this process, but it should work. You can keep most of the metadata (even more than in a direct box-to-box transfer) if you pull from the TiVo's menus rather than pushing.
lpwcomp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyF wrote:
I saw this setting in KMTTG and have tried it. I am currently receiving the error message:

This is not a valid video file to be pushed

I am looking to send a .tivo file download from the TiVo.

In KMTTG I have set the directly to C:\pyTivo\pyTivo.conf in the Config. with tivoFile selected as File to Push.

Any suggestions?
This question properly belongs in the kmttg thread in the TiVo Community forum, but..

Just so we're clear, you have all of the settings in the pytivo tab fo kmtth set, including destination TiVo.

Then from the main kmttg page, with only the "push" box checked, you go to the "Files" tab and add a .tivo file, select the entry and do a "Start" and kmttg issues an error message?

JeffreyF wrote:
Also, when you say the recordings are not grouped are you saying they do not appear under one folder?

Jeffrey
What I am saying is that episodes pushed to a TiVo will be grouped (in the same "folder) together but it will not be the same group ("folder") as episodes recorded on or pulled to the TiVo.
JeffreyF

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just so we're clear, you have all of the settings in the pytivo tab fo kmtth set, including destination TiVo.

Then from the main kmttg page, with only the "push" box checked, you go to the "Files" tab and add a .tivo file, select the entry and do a "Start" and kmttg issues an error message?

You are correct in your statement above. I appreciate your help.
lpwcomp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyF wrote:
Quote:

This discussion should be moved to http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=387725&highlight=kmttg, especially since I don't know why it is behaving as it is.
lpwcomp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyF wrote:
Quote:

Addressed in the TCF kmttg thread. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=387725
Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: