pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TiVo dropping shared folder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpric

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: TiVo dropping shared folder Reply with quote

I've been using PyTivo (on a mac) to share a folder on a Buffalo NAS for several months and all has been great for the most part. The one problem that I have is that the shared folder often gets dropped from the TiVo menu. I don't really know what events lead up to it getting dropped, but I can usually get it to reappear if I do some sort of nominal activity in the shared folder like rename a file. Sometimes the shared folder is found, but TiVo thinks that it's empty. And other sometimes the folder is there, but recently added files don't show up on the menu.
Is there a way to get the TiVo to stay more up-to-date with respect to the shared file?
Thanks in advance,
Bryan
philhu

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen this on my Buffalo

I run 4 folders on it and they just work, never see anything unsynchronized

Are you in a Windows environment? Because I have seen this kind of problem when a user runs a WINS server and the Wins server gets flakey.

WINS is used by Windows to resolve local machine names. Most do not run a WINS server, but if you are, that could be it
wmcbrine

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpric, that actually sounds like three different and unrelated problems. The share disappearing altogether happens when Zeroconf packets go missing for some reason -- most often, when you have a WiFi link, either on the server or the TiVo end. Some firewalls also seem to be a problem. The shares should reappear by themselves eventually, but if not, you can get them back by restarting pyTivo. If you're desperate, you could disable Zeroconf and see if that helps.

For the empty shares, I'd want to see pyTivo's log to diagnose that. My guess is that you'd see an exception being thrown at that point, for whatever reason.

Recently added files not showing up could be a caching issue, but I'd want more details. Make sure you're running the latest version of pyTivo.

Consider running pyTivo directly on your NAS, instead of on the Mac pointing to the NAS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: