pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slow transfer - Linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
jstaffon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Slow transfer - Linux Reply with quote

I'm just about out of ideas regarding my current problem. I've been running pytivo on a Suse Linux box for many years. Within the last month or so, I've noticed transfer rates between my Suse box and my TivoHD has dropped dramatically. I used to transfer a 1 GB file in about 30 minutes or less, now it takes over an hour. My rule of thumb was that I could transfer a 1.5 hour movie in around 30 minutes. That's far faster than watching the movie in real time while streaming...therefore, I'd never catchup to the transfer while watching the movie. Now, if I start watching the move as soon as I begin the transfer, I catch up to the movie and have to wait for more to transfer before I can resume the movie. The transfer rate is extremely slow. This is a dramatic performance decrease from before. Does anyone know if Tivo has upgraded their software to cause such a problem or is it most likely something on my end. To be honest, the only thing different on my end is a larger hard drive in my Tivo unit. I'm positive however, I had fast transfer rates after the hard drive upgrade. Just to be sure, I'm going to put the original drive back in to verify. As of now, I'm running the latest version of Mr. McBrine's tree at 10/31/2010. BTW, can someone explain why his note says, "Don't want this in my tree, sorry."? What is the most current, best, version to be running?

Details: While transferring, ffmpeg uses about 10-15% of my AMD Quad-Core processor. My network is a Gigabit network and I get transfers well over 300Mbits/sec between my Suse box and another Linux system and a Windows 7 box on the network. I don't see any collisions or network errors while transferring. Included is my pyTivo.conf file. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Jeff.

[Server]
tivo_mak = mak # (my file has my actual number)
ffmpeg = /usr/bin/ffmpeg
aspect169 = true
beacon = 192.168.1.255
togo_path = /share1/videos/TivoShows
port = 9032

[Our Photos]
type = photo
path = /share/photos

[Our Music]
type = music
path = /share/music

[Home Server]
type = video
path = /share1/videos

wmcbrine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Don't want this in my tree" refers to .gitignore, and is just a note to Laurence Gonsalves, after he included it in a pull request, the rest of which I did want. As I explained to him, I already had a .gitignore, but it had ".gitignore" in it. Smile End users need not pay any attention to that note.

I've seen no change in performance, so I can only attribute it to something on your end. What sorts of numbers does pyTivo itself report for the transfer rates?

jstaffon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things run about 2.5 Mb/s regardless of the file type....

INFO:pyTivo.video.video:[04/Jan/2011 14:30:09] Done sending "/share1/videos/Movies/Knight And Day (2010).m4v" to Family Room, 28311552 bytes, 2.31 Mb/s

Thanks, Jeff.

jstaffon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Solution: Slow Transfer - Linux Reply with quote

Mr. McBrine was right. It was something on my end as apposed to something with a Tivo update or pyTivo update causing my problems. This was an interesting exercise so I'll share in detail. Although I've solved my problem, I don't know if the way I configured my network caused my problems or if I have a piece of hardware not working as advertised.

A quick introduction.... I have multiple levels in my home. The bottom level (basement) is where my network comes in to my home from my cable provider. Therefore, most of the network distribution H/W and my backbone resides there along with my Linux servers for video and audio distribution throughout my home. The next level directly above my basement is my family room where I have most of my entertainment equipment such as my HDTV, Tivo HD, Boxee box, Roku, BluRay player, etc.....most of which use an internet connection. Because of this, I installed a Netgear GS605 gigabit switch to distribute the network connection behind my TV to all my devices.

My basement has my network backbone. ISP connection->cablemodem->Linksys router/switch->Netgear GS608->Linux servers. My Linksys has 4 100 Mb/s RJ45 ports (like most units) and my Netgear GS608 switch has 8 1 Gb/s RJ45 ports. My servers reside on my Netgear switch so that my video and audio processing between my computers have a gigabit network to transfer data to and from. The ports on my Linksys router/switch light up the remaining network ports in my home.....I don't have many network connections because it's an older home and I had to rewire after the fact.

I had the bright idea to uplink the GS605 that went to my Tivo, Roku, etc off my Netgear GS608 so that I would have gigabit to the equipment behind my TV because I mostly transfer video and mp3s to those devices. When I moved that network connection from my Linksys router to the Netgear switch, things went to heck in a hand-basket. I never did testing right away to make sure everything was working ok so it wasn't obvious at the time what the problem was. A few weeks later, I noticed that I was having very slow transfer rates between my Tivo HD and my media server on my basement backbone.

By moving the uplink from the Netgear GS608 to my Linksys router, although a slower 100 mb/s link, my transfer rates immediately went from around 2 Mb/s to 8Mb/s. Those aren't great speeds but the Tivo software obviously prioritizes transfers such that you get quality video while recording, etc. In any case, my transfer speeds increased by a factor of 4. This now takes me back to the speeds I enjoyed when I could stream a movie from my Linux media server to my Tivo HD at 3X+ realtime. ie, a 2 hour avi movie (700 MB) would transfer in around 30 minutes. Remember, these are all round numbers....so I hope the math is close.

The only thing I don't know, is why I can't uplink between two Netgear gigabit switches. ie. a GS608 and a GS605. At this point, I'm happy and will worry about this another time. Thanks for the reply Mr. McBrine.

jeff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: