pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pyTivoX notes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support
 View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: pyTivoX notes Reply with quote

hi. i'm a mac user of pyTivoX. specifically, i have a mac mini g4 on os 10.5.8 with pyTivoX 1.3 and a TivoHD. i'm really grateful for the software and this forum for helping me figure out how to use it. there were a few things that i picked up that i didn't see noted here so it thought it might be useful to post about them.

originally, i was pulling mpeg2 media with a "properties" text file. it worked reasonably well. i was able to give titles and descriptions using the properties file.

i switched to pushing mpeg4 files and a text file. the big advantages are that i am now able to group shows in folders, the file size is less than half the mpeg2 files, and the tivo doesn't re-encode my video. it just does a quick copy.

here's what i've learned that i didn't see elsewhere:

if you call up the tivohd's web interface it will list your new files as protected and you can't download them back to the server. it also added copyright tribune media services to the descriptions which is weird.

the file extension has to be "mp4." otherwise, even if the tivo can read the file it will transcode it while copying. youtube mp4 files work great. i download them using downloadhelper in firefox. always get the video file labelled "medium." the others are flv which don't look as good and have to be converted before using with the tivo. if you have kids, check out the cartoonshortsclub on youtube. there is nothing better than the original 1930s mickey mouse shorts.

handbrake is a great program but i have been unable to make compatible mpeg4 video with it. even when i set it to h264 video, quicktime reports the resulting file as having the "jvt/avc" codec. tivo no like! i've been using quicktime player 7 pro to export as h264 mp4 files. tivo like!

cheers! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: