pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pytivo on Synology Diskstation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmcbrine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, Java is not needed for pyTivo.
cadmium

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wmcbrine wrote:

True, I don't even know what harmonium is. But I also take it to mean that it's not too hard to screw up a nas box pretty bad.

Off topic, I just wanted to say Thank You for the hard work you've done. I've been using your fork of pyTivo for quite a while now and it has served me very well.
jcthorne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="IluvatarWhat in the world happened that made you need to destroy your data? At the most I would think you would only need to reset the OS partition. Scary.... I don't even have enough space to cover what I have stored on the NAS anywhere else in case it needs to be backed up.[/quote]

When I reinstalled the OS partition (Synology does not use flash for the os, its all on the OS partition of the array) a simple upgrade would not install. Required blanking the OS partition to install the Synology OS. Once done, the drive array tables were not there and it could not recognize the raid array. Had to be restored.

Having a drive array without backup is not wise. Its a whole lot of data that can be wiped out in one bad move. RAID is more reliable than single drives from hardware failure. Its actually LESS reliable from catastrophy from operator failure. The latter being my problem.

I only update my backup monthly, its all stored on a stack of old hard drives (gave up tape many moons ago). Takes about an hour depending on how much new stuff I have added to the RAID.
jcthorne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cadmium wrote:
wmcbrine wrote:

True, I don't even know what harmonium is. But I also take it to mean that it's not too hard to screw up a nas box pretty bad.

Harmonium is an HME server for audio files. A jukebox on your tivo complete with artwork, sorting. playlists etc. Unfortunatly for my NAS box, its built using java.

I had no real trouble installing python, pytivo and HME for python with vidmgr on the NAS box. It worked well and handled video and photos great.

I ran into trouble trying to have the NAS serve up the audio as well. Would love to see an Audiomgr app that works and looks just like vidmgr and runs under HME for python. Unfortunatly does not yet exist and beyond my capability to create.

Also perhaps someday tivo will support acces to DNLA media servers which Synology supports directly. Actually works pretty well from my WDTV media box...but thats not tivo.
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iluvatar wrote:
What in the world happened that made you need to destroy your data? At the most I would think you would only need to reset the OS partition. Scary.... I don't even have enough space to cover what I have stored on the NAS anywhere else in case it needs to be backed up.

jcthorne wrote:
When I reinstalled the OS partition (Synology does not use flash for the os, its all on the OS partition of the array) a simple upgrade would not install. Required blanking the OS partition to install the Synology OS. Once done, the drive array tables were not there and it could not recognize the raid array. Had to be restored.

Having a drive array without backup is not wise. Its a whole lot of data that can be wiped out in one bad move. RAID is more reliable than single drives from hardware failure. Its actually LESS reliable from catastrophy from operator failure. The latter being my problem.

I only update my backup monthly, its all stored on a stack of old hard drives (gave up tape many moons ago). Takes about an hour depending on how much new stuff I have added to the RAID.

That's concerning as the Synology is designed to be able to completely restore a fresh OS image and settings without damaging the data. I wonder what happened. I have stomped all over my OS partition with the assumption that I could always reset it Shocked I'll have to quit that.

As to the backup of my NAS, I'm aware of the risk's. But at the moment just cannot afford to duplicate the data. For now the RAID5 will have to do. In the end it is only video content and a Time Machine backup, which would really really suck to lose but nothing like losing personal photos or similar.
philhu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With external 2tb usb 3.0 disks coming in now at $99 (Best-buy, GoFlex), I bought 5 of those and schedule backups of different parts of my NAS to those disks. Not the fastest, but using RSYNC -ars saves everything.... My total backup to usb took a little under 36 hours, now it runs the rsyncs for differentials and takes about 2 hours to write just the changes.

FYI - Cheap backup devices are now available!
txporter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tonidoplug crashed and burned while I was away on vacation for a couple of weeks. I decided to pick up a Synology DS111 to replace it. I am following along with the guide here to try to get pytivo up and running. I have been able to bootstrap, install ipkg and python and git, and git clone lucanz's version of pytivo. I can start pytivo using the simple start.sh script that Illuvatar posted early on in the thread. I can't get the script to start as a service to work. Using the one that Illuvatar posted, I get this error:
Quote:
pytivo.sh: line 42: restart}: not found
kill: you need to specify whom to kill

Line 42 is the esac line.

I tried using the init.d script posted in the wiki, and it looks like I don't have pkill or pgreg installed.

Anyone know what I need to do to fix this?

Just in case, here is the pytivo.sh that I am using (root owner, used chmod 755):
Code:
RETVAL=0

start() {
echo -n ""Starting pyTivo: ""
ps | grep pyTivo.py | grep python
RETVAL=$?
[ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && echo ""pyTivo already running: Exiting"" && exit 1

sh /usr/local/pyTivo/start.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 &
RETVAL=$?
[ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && echo -n ""done""
echo
return $RETVAL
}

stop() {
echo -n ""Stopping pyTivo: ""
kill -9 `ps |grep pyTivo.py |grep python | awk -F" " '{print $1}'`
RETVAL=$?
echo
echo
return $RETVAL
}

case ""$1"" in
start)
start
;;
stop)
stop
;;
restart|reload)
stop
sleep 1
start
RETVAL=$?
;;
*)
echo ""Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}""
exit 1
esac
exit $RETVAL
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running DSM 3.2? Is this the error you get in the startup logs or are you running the script manually from the command line? If running manually I believe it you need to specify the function:

Code:

/path/to/script.sh start

3.2 has changed something in the startup procedure that breaks my startup script but not in the fashion you have described. I haven't looked into fixing it just yet but probably will this week. If I find something out before someone else answers I will post it up.
txporter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, DSM 3.2. And yes, I was trying to launch from command line, not from startup (which doesn't work).

I tried launching with:
Code:
sh pytivo.sh start

as you suggested.

Now I get this error:
Quote:
Starting pyTivo: Unknown HZ value! (74) Assume 100.
done

Trying to use pytivo.sh to stop the process results in this error:
Quote:
Stopping pyTivo: Unknown HZ value! (75) Assume 100.
Unknown HZ value! (75) Assume 100.
Usage:
kill pid ... Send SIGTERM to every process listed.
kill signal pid ... Send a signal to every process listed.
kill -s signal pid ... Send a signal to every process listed.
kill -l List all signal names.
kill -L List all signal names in a nice table.
kill -l signal Convert between signal numbers and names.
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really have no idea, the script runs manually for me perfect. I'm no expert and do this by trial and error but the only thing I can suggest which you may already have done is to verify that your pytivo.sh is in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ and start.sh is /usr/local/pyTivo/ , make sure each is executable, restart the Synology and try again.

Anyways as 3.2 killed the auto startup portion of my script I have found some info on a completely new startup script that I will post soon. Until then if you can't find an alternate means you can just run pyTivo manually although it exits if the ssh connection is lost.

Code:

/usr/local/pyTivo/pyTivo.py > /dev/null 2>&1 &
txporter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I redid the script by pasting it directly into a vi file rather than saving in windows and trying to save without hard returns. That is what was giving the strange 'Unknown HZ value (xx)'. I hadn't changed the permissions back to executable. After running a chmod 755, those go away and I can start pytivo using your script.

Also, I see that I forgot to add the actual startup to the rc.local file in /etc. After doing that, pytivo does start at startup. I still cannot run pytivo stop though. It still complains about the kill command.

Ok, got the script to work again my making the following modifications. Not sure if this is the correct way to do it.
Quote:
RETVAL=0

start() {
echo -n ""Starting pyTivo: ""
ps -A | grep python
RETVAL=$?
[ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && echo ""pyTivo already running: Exiting"" && exit 1

sh /usr/local/pyTivo/start.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 &
RETVAL=$?
echo
return $RETVAL
}

stop() {
echo -n ""Stopping pyTivo: ""
kill -9 `ps -A |grep python | awk -F" " '{print $1}'`
RETVAL=$?
echo
echo
return $RETVAL
}

case ""$1"" in
start)
start
;;
stop)
stop
;;
restart|reload)
stop
sleep 1
start
RETVAL=$?
;;
*)
echo ""Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}""
exit 1
esac
exit $RETVAL
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it's working for you. And thanks for the tip on rc.local, I will look into it. I was unaware this was necessary. It definitely was not required in 3.1 or earlier.

At some point I was hoping to create an .spk package that users would install that could automate the pyTivo installation. Some day....
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

txporter, can you test something for me? I occasionally have files that are pushed to the TiVo using my Synology NAS that fail to complete the transfer (log notes a broken pipe) however I have been unable to figure out a rhyme or reason. These files push fine always from my laptop but fail 50% of the time with the Syno. No particular files either, just random.

So if you start to see disappearing transfers on your TiVo NPL when pushing from your Syno maybe you can try again with pyTivo running manually for the debug output and see if your files are failing to complete due to a broken pipe. Perhaps the reason can be discerned with more samples. I am running the latest lucasnz fork but if I remember right it happens on wmcbrine as well.
txporter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will look to see if I get the same problem pushing files. I usually don't see any problems, but I tend to just push a batch of files at a time and sometimes don't really push anything for a week or two. Will let you know if I do notice something.
txporter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone help me out with this error I get when trying to use git pull to update my pyTivo? I am looking back at this discussion and I don't see what I am doing wrong, so I am wondering if I need to install something differently on my synology for git.

Stopping pytivo and then executing:
git pull

Gives this error:
Quote:
/opt/libexec/git-core/git-pull: line 235: tr: not found
Your configuration specifies to merge with the ref 'master'
from the remote, but no such ref was fetched.

My FETCH_HEAD file is this:
Code:
8012f3b925d5ee5803fe62689dd3e59e568fbe2f                branch 'master' of git://repo.or.cz/pyTivo/wmcbrine/lucasnz

I originally executed the following command to get lucasnz's version of pytivo:
Code:
git clone git://repo.or.cz/pyTivo/wmcbrine/lucasnz.git

I then needed to rename lucasnz to pyTivo.

I installed git using:
Code:
ipkg install git

Other packages that are available on the synology for install are:
git-lite
git-manpages
git-svn

I think I picked the right one, but ??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: