pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pytivo on Synology Diskstation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbgators wrote:
Never mind above. I fixed it by comparing the recent changes in wmcbrines version of video.py, using your code.

I am now going to test this updated pytivo on the NAS to see if the remux makes the push faster.

Yeah my bad. I didn't think to mention that wmcbrine may have updated his code since I posted that.
kbgators

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iluvatar,

OK, so here are the results...

For a 2.6GB .mkv movie, pyTivo on the Synology DS211j NAS: it took 4 minutes to remux, and then 10 minutes to push it over to the TIVO.

Does that sound right? Thanks!
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbgators wrote:
Iluvatar,

For a 2.6GB .mkv movie, pyTivo on the Synology DS211j NAS: it took 4 minutes to remux, and then 10 minutes to push it over to the TIVO.

On the remux that sounds about right. A bit slow on transferring it to the TiVo but that depends on your network and the TiVo. If it ever has to transcode DTS then that will take 15-20 mins to finish remux.

Better than 3 days right?
kbgators

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iluvatar wrote:
kbgators wrote:
Iluvatar,

On the remux that sounds about right. A bit slow on transferring it to the TiVo but that depends on your network and the TiVo. If it ever has to transcode DTS then that will take 15-20 mins to finish remux.

Better than 3 days right?

Oh heck yeah, much better than 3 days to get to the TiVo, thanks!!

Now I'm working on the install for pytivo auto_push on the NAS... A a little tricky with JAVA.
kbgators

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: PyTivo auto_push Reply with quote

Anyone running pytivo auto_push on the Synology NAS? Need help with how to install.
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: PyTivo auto_push Reply with quote

kbgators wrote:
Anyone running pytivo auto_push on the Synology NAS? Need help with how to install.

Nope sorry. Although I would think java is a bit heavy to run full time on something like your Synology.
kbgators

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: PyTivo auto_push Reply with quote

Iluvatar wrote:
kbgators wrote:

Nope sorry. Although I would think java is a bit heavy to run full time on something like your Synology.

Thanks Iluvatar.

On another point, your code for remux makes a temp file with the "pyTivo-temp".
Well, auto_push starts sending that that file the minute it's created (while remuxing) because it sees the new extension as a new file to send to the tivo. Anyway to ignore the extension "pyTivo-temp" for pushing?

Thanks
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have no idea. I don't use auto push. The remux code originated from the main pyTivo developer wmcbrine. I just added the tiny bit of code that allowed transcoding of DTS audio for the remux.

Perhaps you can adjust the code to create the temp file in a place that your auto push program does not look for.
cadmium

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering getting a Synology server and I'm getting the impression that they are generally too slow to use as a general pyTivo server (at least with transcoding?).

Would one of the dual core atom models (such as the ds411+ii) help, or is it just a lost cause?
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cadmium wrote:
I'm considering getting a Synology server and I'm getting the impression that they are generally too slow to use as a general pyTivo server (at least with transcoding?).

Would one of the dual core atom models (such as the ds411+ii) help, or is it just a lost cause?

Well I consider transcoding a lost cause on these types of devices. However pushing compatible files works excellent and usually fast.

If you are considering what you need for transcoding though I would make sure to get an x86 version such as the atom or at the very least something with an FPU. Also you will probably need to recompile ffmpeg specific to your system for performance tuning.
cadmium

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iluvatar wrote:

Well I consider transcoding a lost cause on these types of devices. However pushing compatible files works excellent and usually fast.

If you are considering what you need for transcoding though I would make sure to get an x86 version such as the atom or at the very least something with an FPU. Also you will probably need to recompile ffmpeg specific to your system for performance tuning.

I consider transcoding to be the core feature of pyTivo for me, in that I can throw anything at it and it just works.

The DS411+ series is a dual core atom, so I presume x86. Would that be enough to transcode with *reasonable* performance, or is that still useless?
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cadmium wrote:
Iluvatar wrote:

I consider transcoding to be the core feature of pyTivo for me, in that I can throw anything at it and it just works.

The DS411+ series is a dual core atom, so I presume x86. Would that be enough to transcode with *reasonable* performance, or is that still useless?

According to jcthorne his DS1511+ (which has same CPU as the DS411+II I believe) transcodes 1080P HD at 15fps. So you will probably get faster than real time transcoding on older avi files with xvid type encoding.
jcthorne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that when I attempted to also install java runtime on the NAS and get that running ... in preperation for installing Harmonium there, I royally mukd up the NAS. Had to reflash the OS, rebuild the array, recover all data from backup...royal mess.

I have since moved pytivo and HME for python back to a low power old laptop where harmonium and other services reside. I figured out the windows pc was not going away so might as well let the NAS sleep when not being used that keep both of them running 24/7. With the drives spinning in the NAS, the laptop is actually the lower power consumption of the two to keep running.
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcthorne wrote:
Be aware that when I attempted to also install java runtime on the NAS and get that running ... in preperation for installing Harmonium there, I royally mukd up the NAS. Had to reflash the OS, rebuild the array, recover all data from backup...royal mess.

I have since moved pytivo and HME for python back to a low power old laptop where harmonium and other services reside. I figured out the windows pc was not going away so might as well let the NAS sleep when not being used that keep both of them running 24/7. With the drives spinning in the NAS, the laptop is actually the lower power consumption of the two to keep running.

What in the world happened that made you need to destroy your data? At the most I would think you would only need to reset the OS partition. Scary.... I don't even have enough space to cover what I have stored on the NAS anywhere else in case it needs to be backed up.
cadmium

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcthorne wrote:
Be aware that when I attempted to also install java runtime on the NAS and get that running ...

Awesome... thanks for the heads up.

Ideally I'd like to have an all in one box that handles everything, and I did for a while with a MediaSmart WHS server, but it's was dog slow before it started developing connection problems. Though, even when it was miserable slow, it transcoded just fine.

I'd stay with WHS, but a) it was not good at all about reporting drive failure, and I lost a small amount of data because of that, and b) they took out the one compelling feature it had (drive extender).

So I'm looking at synology (or readynas, or thecus, but they are all similar), and while it will probably kick the WHS in the ass - without pyTivo, I can't really have an all in one solution.

Sorry, probably TMI for this thread, but that's my situation, and I'm sure others considering a similar move.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: