pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pytivo on Synology Diskstation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
txporter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcthorne wrote:
Using a startup script nearly identical to the one for pytivo, essentially just launching it from its home directory.

Would you mind posting the script when you have the time?
wmcbrine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iluvatar wrote:
does anyone know why we need to actually be inside the pyhme directory to open it for it to work correctly?

Because I suck, I guess.

Quote:
I am trying to create a simple script on OSX to load pyhme on startup and I dont think I can use 'CD' in this method.

Sure you can.

Iluvatar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcthorne wrote:

Being able to complile tivodecode and other items on the synology would be a logical next step along with intalling a java runtime and harmonium. Your assistance and pointers would be helpful. I have been reading over at the synology forums as well but they do not seem very active in the development areas.

To get the development tools installed execute these commands. These basically install wget-ssl and then the devel tools.

Code:

cd /volume1/@tmp

cp /opt/bin/wget /usr/syno/bin/wget

ipkg remove wget

ipkg install wget-ssl

ipkg install optware-devel

restart

This should get you going to install whatever packages you need. Be sure that if your packages require any special compile flags to include them as necessary. To install tivodecode you can just follow wmcbrines directions a few posts back at this point.

Quote:

Your last sentance is curious. Do you mean you have pytivo configured to push but NOT show up in the now playing list? I would like to do that, anything that I want from the tivo end, I use vidmgr to have pytivo push. Would like that menu option gone or at least no videos shown.

Yes. I have a [_tivo_TSN] section for each of my tivo's on the Synology with an empty 'Shares = ' section. This tells pyTivo to not publish the shares to that TiVo. Blank means show nothing.
Code:

[_tivo_TSN]
Shares =

After saving your .conf file restart your Synology and for good measure the TiVo also.[/code]
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wmcbrine wrote:
Iluvatar wrote:
does anyone know why we need to actually be inside the pyhme directory to open it for it to work correctly?

Because I suck, I guess.

Not at all. pyhme rocks. I just am not familiar enough to know why it would not work. Never ran into that issue before.

wmcbrine wrote:
Iluvatar wrote:
I am trying to create a simple script on OSX to load pyhme on startup and I dont think I can use 'CD' in this method.

Sure you can.

This is what I use currently as 'pyhme.plist' which doesn't work. This command works on the terminal though. I start pyTivo in a similar manner but with the full path instead of using 'cd'
Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>Label</key>
   <string>pyhme</string>
   <key>ProgramArguments</key>
   <array>
      <string>cd</string>
      <string>/Applications/pyhme/</string>
      <string>&amp;&amp;</string>
      <string>python</string>
      <string>./start.py</string>
   </array>
   <key>RunAtLoad</key>
   <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

I suppose I could write an actual script to run it but this is typically the fashion I run OSX programs at startup.

Last edited by Iluvatar on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
wmcbrine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if you added a "/bin/sh" to the front of that? "&&" is something that needs a shell to interpret it. I.E.:

<string>/bin/sh</string>
<string>cd</string>

etc.

The reason it doesn't work is that start.py opens files with pathnames relative to its starting directory. I never really contemplated that someone would want to run it without switching to the containing directory first. Thus, I suck. Smile

Iluvatar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: nevermind....thought I had something but turned out I was too quick to judge Smile
wmcbrine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I wrote that wrong... throw in a "-c" after the "/bin/sh", and then probably put quotes around the whole thing:

<string>/bin/sh</string>
<string>-c</string>
<string>"cd /Applications/pyhme/ &amp;&amp; ./start.py"</string>

Not tested since I don't know what you do with this plist.

jcthorne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

txporter wrote:
jcthorne wrote:
Using a startup script nearly identical to the one for pytivo, essentially just launching it from its home directory.

Would you mind posting the script when you have the time?

Sure:

Code:
`sleep 60`
cd /usr/local/pythonHME
/opt/bin/python /usr/local/pythonHME/start.py > /usr/local/pyhme.log 2>&1 &
kbgators

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Slow on DS211j Reply with quote

Guys - long time user of the awesome pytivo here, but it was always running on the laptop.

I recently tried running pytivo on my new DS211j, but it would either error-out during push, or the transcode would take 1-2 days for a 30 min HD show.

(I have SABnzbd and Sickbeard loaded and running smooth on this Synology NAS.)

I loaded the right bootstrap, ipkg, etc..

My thought was that it was the ffmpeg, which I have compiled from source. Not sure if ffmpeg is the slow problem, CPU issues with the NAS or what?

I'd like to have the NAS running pytivo, where all my video files are, so that I'm not dependent on the laptop being plugged to the network to run PyTivo.

Thoughts?
wmcbrine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please elaborate on "error-out during push". (That might be fixable; I doubt the other problem is.)
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Slow on DS211j Reply with quote

kbgators wrote:
Guys - long time user of the awesome pytivo here, but it was always running on the laptop.

I recently tried running pytivo on my new DS211j, but it would either error-out during push, or the transcode would take 1-2 days for a 30 min HD show.

(I have SABnzbd and Sickbeard loaded and running smooth on this Synology NAS.)

I loaded the right bootstrap, ipkg, etc..

My thought was that it was the ffmpeg, which I have compiled from source. Not sure if ffmpeg is the slow problem, CPU issues with the NAS or what?

I'd like to have the NAS running pyTivo, where all my video files are, so that I'm not dependent on the laptop being plugged to the network to run pyTivo.

Thoughts?

It should be expected on your device to get ~1-2fps on transcoding a 1080p video with FFmpeg using pyTivo. Very slow. I would avoid transcoding at all costs.

You want to try to have videos shared from the NAS that are already streamable to the TiVo. If you are pushing a file that errors out and then transcodes then the file is not streamable to the TiVo as is.

Error log or console output would be helpful to pin down any specifics. I recommend opening pyTivo while in an SSH session to your NAS and just watch what it does when you try to replicate any of your issues.
kbgators

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply.

So what are my options if I can not transcode via pyTivo on the NAS?
Am i dependent on running pyTivo on the laptop separately?

Any easy background/auto program that will doing the conversion on the NAS before I push it throughout pyTivo?

I have tons of TV series downloaded weekly via sickbeard and SABnzbd

Thank you in advance.
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbgators wrote:
Thank you for the reply.

So what are my options if I can not transcode via pyTivo on the NAS?
Am i dependent on running pyTivo on the laptop separately?

Any easy background/auto program that will doing the conversion on the NAS before I push it throughout pyTivo?

I have tons of TV series downloaded weekly via sickbeard and SABnzbd

Thank you in advance.

Use it to transcode if you want. It's just going to be slow. There's nothing you can do about that. If your files are not streamable natively then I would recommend running a second instance of pyTivo on your laptop as it would be considerably faster. I don't know any auto conversion tools for your NAS that would be any faster.

I would recommend upgrading your pyTivo installation. Many TV torrents that I am aware of utilize MKV/h264/AC3 format which the latest pyTivo can quickly remux and then push. My files typically are in the 1.5 gb range for an hour of content which pyTivo will remux and push from the Synology within 3-5 minutes. I have posted edited pyTivo files that allows re-encoding of DTS audio into AC3 to allow for quick remuxing if you are running into that codec often. That change allows me to push 95% of my content vs 40-50%. My NAS can do almost all the heavy lifting now.
kbgators

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iluvatar wrote:

Use it to transcode if you want. It's just going to be slow. There's nothing you can do about that. If your files are not streamable natively then I would recommend running a second instance of pyTivo on your laptop as it would be considerably faster. I don't know any auto conversion tools for your NAS that would be any faster.

I would recommend upgrading your pyTivo installation. Many TV torrents that I am aware of utilize MKV/h264/AC3 format which the latest pyTivo can quickly remux and then push. My files typically are in the 1.5 gb range for an hour of content which pyTivo will remux and push from the Synology within 3-5 minutes. I have posted edited pyTivo files that allows re-encoding of DTS audio into AC3 to allow for quick remuxing if you are running into that codec often. That change allows me to push 95% of my content vs 40-50%. My NAS can do almost all the heavy lifting now.

Thanks for the suggestion. There's an issue with this line in your video.py file:
"CONTAINER_TEMPLATE = tmpl('container.tmpl')"

...and further down:
t = Template(CONTAINER_TEMPLATE, filter=EncodeUnicode)

=========
HOWEVER, In the wmcbrine's versions it has instead:

'HTML_CONTAINER_TEMPLATE = tmpl('container_html.tmpl')
XML_CONTAINER_TEMPLATE = tmpl('container_xml.tmpl')"

...and further down:
" if tsn:
t = Template(XML_CONTAINER_TEMPLATE, filter=EncodeUnicode)
else:
t = Template(HTML_CONTAINER_TEMPLATE, filter=EncodeUnicode)"

I've tried fixing this, but no luck.

Thanks!
kbgators

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind above. I fixed it by comparing the recent changes in wmcbrines version of video.py, using your code.

I am now going to test this updated pytivo on the NAS to see if the remux makes the push faster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: