pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem playing shows with subtitles.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kementari

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Problem playing shows with subtitles. Reply with quote

First, let me say what an excellent program you have created. The setup was easy, and it is far better than using the annoying tivo desktop.

My only problem has to do with playing back videos with subtitles. My videos are 640x480 and I am trying to play them on a 4:3 tv. For some reason, these videos appear to have part of the top, bottom, and sides cut off. The result is that the subtitles are cut through the middle, and the beginning and end of sentences are often not displayed.

If there is a place I can manually adjust this, please give me a reply. I tried reading through the other posts, but I was never able to find exactly what I was searching for (or I did and couldn't understand it).

Thanks again,
Kem
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have had this issue as well. I almost exclusively use pyTivo for anime on my 4:3 crt television and subtitles always get cut off. This piece of code in transcode.py fixes my problem completely and only affects 4:3 content.

Replace line 133 that currently has the code:

return ['-aspect', '4:3', '-s', str(TIVO_WIDTH) + 'x' + str(TIVO_HEIGHT)]

and replace it with this line,

return ['-aspect', '4:3', '-s', str(TIVO_WIDTH - 40) + 'x' + str(TIVO_HEIGHT - 40), '-padtop', '20', '-padbottom', '20', '-padleft', '20', '-padright', '20']

I do wish this code could be implemented into pyTivo if only so I didnt have to put it in everytime I upgrade Laughing however, im sure this problem effects many more users who have 4:3 tvs and try to watch subtitled 4:3 content.

Iluvatar
krkeegan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could add those parameters to your ffmpeg_prams settings in the conf file. But it sounds like you only want this to want this to affect your 4:3 content?
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krkeegan wrote:
You could add those parameters to your ffmpeg_prams settings in the conf file. But it sounds like you only want this to want this to affect your 4:3 content?

Yes, thats true for me at least as 16:9 content works perfectly fine (albeit letterboxed)
wmcbrine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Problem playing shows with subtitles. Reply with quote

Kementari wrote:
For some reason, these videos appear to have part of the top, bottom, and sides cut off.

What you're seeing is called "overscan". You can read more about it here.

And I quite agree -- far from being a "unique" problem, this is something that needs to be dealt with in mainstream pyTivo.

Kementari

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iluvatar wrote:
i have had this issue as well. I almost exclusively use pyTivo for anime on my 4:3 crt television and subtitles always get cut off. This piece of code in transcode.py fixes my problem completely and only affects 4:3 content.

Replace line 133 that currently has the code:

return ['-aspect', '4:3', '-s', str(TIVO_WIDTH) + 'x' + str(TIVO_HEIGHT)]

and replace it with this line,

return ['-aspect', '4:3', '-s', str(TIVO_WIDTH - 40) + 'x' + str(TIVO_HEIGHT - 40), '-padtop', '20', '-padbottom', '20', '-padleft', '20', '-padright', '20']

I do wish this code could be implemented into pyTivo if only so I didnt have to put it in everytime I upgrade Laughing however, im sure this problem effects many more users who have 4:3 tvs and try to watch subtitled 4:3 content.

Iluvatar

Apparently my line 133 isn't the same as yours. In my transcode.py, line 133 is

endHeight = int(((TIVO_WIDTH*height)/width) * multiplier4by3)

Searching for something similar to what you replaced, I did find this:

return ['-aspect', '4:3', '-s', str(TIVO_WIDTH) + 'x480']

Is this the line I would replace? A very noob question, but would I just delete the old line and copy/paste in the code you are suggesting, save the file, and restart the service?

Another question... perhaps related/perhaps not... I am finding that if I restart the service, my shares often disappear from the NPL. I have been able to make them reappear, so I have just reinstalled. When I do this, it works. If I change something, though, it will disappear again. Also, there have been a few times where when I have it up and browse a folder, it shows me the contents of a completely different folder. Every folder I view will have the contents of that wrong folder.

I know I am asking a ton of questions. I am very new to the community. On one tv I am running a PC with MCE, but I have this tivo and I would love to use it in the bedroom with my shares.

Thanks again to all of you in the community who respond.

-Kem
Kementari

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing the line I found with what you posted didn't do the trick, so I will guess I found the wrong thing. I will eagerly await any more help you guys can give.
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kementari wrote:
Replacing the line I found with what you posted didn't do the trick, so I will guess I found the wrong thing. I will eagerly await any more help you guys can give.

It has been about a month since I have upgraded so it is very likely that that particular line has moved around with new additions.

Do a search for a debug_write command that contains the string "select_aspect: File is within 4:3 list.\n" and the return line to replace is right after that. The following is the entire 4:3 section out of my transcode.py

Also remember that you must restart pyTivo for the changes to take effect.

Code:
elif (rwidth, rheight) in [(4, 3), (10, 11), (15, 11), (59, 54), (59, 72), (59, 36), (59, 54)]:
        debug_write(['select_aspect: File is within 4:3 list.\n'])
        #New: Decrease cropping so entire subtitles show properly.
        #Old
        #return ['-aspect', '4:3', '-s', str(TIVO_WIDTH) + 'x' + str(TIVO_HEIGHT)]
epsilondelta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kem,

Apologies if you are doing this, but be sure to maintain the indentation as in the code above...and I'm pretty sure all the blocks starting with "elif" should be indented the same as in the original.

(I don't mean to come off as if I know any Python -- far, far from it -- it's just that the importance of indentation preservation is often mentioned in other threads involving editing .py files. Embarassed )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: