pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Permission Denied

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
YellowDog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Permission Denied Reply with quote

I just installed Python and pytivo. I did not install pytivo as a service.

When I start the pytivo console from the the Startup menu, I get the following error:

IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:\\Program Files\\pyTivo\\debug.log'

The logon account I'm using on this Vista machine is an admin. The file debug.log does not exist.

I also tried this command from the command line:

c:\"program files"\python62\python c:\"program files"\pytivo\pytivo.py

I got path not found although I'm pretty sure that they're there.

Also, if I enter this URL in the browser: http://localhost:9032/ I get a "cannot locate the server" message.

I did a search through this message board for these errors but found nothing relevant.

Any help?
rdian06

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Permission Denied Reply with quote

YellowDog wrote:
I just installed Python and pytivo. I did not install pytivo as a service.

When I start the pytivo console from the the Startup menu, I get the following error:

IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:\\Program Files\\pyTivo\\debug.log'

The logon account I'm using on this Vista machine is an admin. The file debug.log does not exist.

I also tried this command from the command line:

c:\"program files"\python62\python c:\"program files"\pytivo\pytivo.py

I got path not found although I'm pretty sure that they're there.

Also, if I enter this URL in the browser: http://localhost:9032/ I get a "cannot locate the server" message.

I did a search through this message board for these errors but found nothing relevant.

Any help?

Which installer did you use? The latest one 3-19 moves the debug.log file to a new location to avoid that permissions issue.

Also make sure you do NOT have a pyTivo.conf file in the pyTivo folder. The 3-19 installer moves the conf file elsewhere. Start with the basic one (there's a start menu link to reveal the new location) and customize as needed.

BTW, on Vista with UAC enabled, running from an account that has admin privileges doesn't by itself give you the ability to write to program files folders. You have to elevate privileges when running the program by right clicking and choosing "Run as Administrator". In this case you would right click on the pyTivo start on console shortcut on the start menu.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: