pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No episode number or title since guide change
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
judyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: No episode number or title since guide change Reply with quote

It appears that pytivo is not getting the episode number or title since the guide change. I always ask for the text file which used to include (in most cases) EpisodeNumber and episodeTitle.

After the guide change, I'm not getting that information. just "description" which is kinda useless...

We use OTA only. Episode numbers are showing up on the Tivo itself.

Anyone else? I admit to probably using an old pytivo, but up the guide change, it worked perfectly.

Judy
3 OTA Roamios
1 Premiere
wmcbrine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's just the data they've chosen to provide. But "episodeNum" has been essentially obsolete for a while now -- it's only used in the SDUI; the Season, Episode display in the HDUI is based on having a valid programId.
judyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wmcbrine wrote:
Yeah, it's just the data they've chosen to provide. But "episodeNum" has been essentially obsolete for a while now -- it's only used in the SDUI; the Season, Episode display in the HDUI is based on having a valid programId.

How can it be obsolete? It is displayed in the My SHows display on the TV, just below the picture on the right. It is used everywhere people write and talk about TV programs. It is displayed in the Tivo online guide.

Oh, I see what you mean. Tivo is display separately the season and episode number. I don't care how I get it -- I want the season and episode number. I used to get Season 1 Episode 2 as 102.

So is there a way to get the two numbers, season and episode number? We get nothing. Tivo still has it because it's displayed in the My Shows.

Judy
lpwcomp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What William is saying is that the season & episode numbers you see on the TiVo have nothing to do with the episodeNum in the .txt metadata file.

The value in episodeNum is only seen in the SDUI. Most of the data displayed in the HDUI is based on the programId (assuming it's valid).

Are you certain that episodeTitle and episodeNum are missing and not just further down in the file than they used to be?
judyn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lpwcomp wrote:

Are you certain that episodeTitle and episodeNum are missing and not just further down in the file than they used to be?

I didn't have a lot of evidence then and now I'm away from my Tivo. Episode Title is there and seems to be populated.

episodeNUM is not there. At this point it seems easiest to have the TV on and get the season number and episode number from the Tivo information about the program I just downloaded. Given Episode Title, I could also use an internet search on the program.

All of that is a LOT more work than in the past though. Do we have any control over what goes into the text file? A configuration file somewhere?
lpwcomp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try a couple of different shows and attach the .txt files to your next post?
wmcbrine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

judyn wrote:
Do we have any control over what goes into the text file? A configuration file somewhere?

It's what the TiVo provides. It's everything the TiVo provides. I don't know how I can make that more clear.

When the TiVo displays the season and episode number (in the HDUI), it does it by looking them up in an internal database. The programId is the key. episodeNum is NOT USED (in the HDUI) -- you can set it to anything you like, and the TiVo will ignore it. It might or might not be provided with the data extracted from a TiVo -- it sounds like it was, with the old guide data provider, and not with the new one. The TiVo doesn't care, because it doesn't use that field anymore, for anything.

lpwcomp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even from a TiVo that has been transitioned to Rovi data, the episodeNumber field is still being properly populated in the ,txt metadata file.

Code:
title : BrainDead
seriesTitle : BrainDead
description : Red's secret agenda is hidden in a massive budget bill that Luke and Laurel try to crack; and Gareth catches a peek at a disturbing bug encounter in Red's office.
time : 2016-09-05T02:00:00Z
isEpisode : true
originalAirDate : 2016-09-04T00:00:00Z
episodeTitle : Six Points on the New Congressional Budget: The False Dichotomy of Austerity vs. Expansionary Policies
isEpisodic : true
showingBits : 4097
episodeNumber : 111
displayMajorNumber : 46
displayMinorNumber: 1
callsign : WGCLDT
seriesId : SH0333318941
programId : EP0333318941-0359759636
vActor : Winstead|Mary Elizabeth
vActor : Tveit|Aaron
vActor : James|Nikki M.
vActor : Gill|Johnny Ray
vActor : Pino|Danny
vActor : Shalhoub|Tony
vActor : Maxwell|Jan
vActor : Semine|Charlie
vExecProducer : Scott|Ridley
vExecProducer : King|Robert
vExecProducer : Kennedy|Brooke
vExecProducer : King|Michelle
vExecProducer : Zucker|David W.
vExecProducer : Glotzer|Liz
vAdvisory : LANGUAGE
Bwana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lpwcomp"]Even from a TiVo that has been transitioned to Rovi data, the episodeNumber field is still being properly populated in the ,txt metadata file.

It may be a problem with certain provider lineups. I'm on Comcast and since the changeover to Rovi data, I never get episodeNumber. I understand that this is not used to display anything on the Tivo, but I'm not convinced that it is not used at all.

Another problem that many encountered before (including me) was that if you pushed a program from pyTivo to the Tivo often the Season, Episode and image information would not be shown. But, if you pulled the same file with the same txt file, it would. It would somehow fill in the missing programId based on other info in the text file matching known data. Since the changeover, this has also stopped working. Perhaps since the guide data no longer contains episodeNumber, it cant fill in programId for you anymore?
lpwcomp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, episodeNumber is not used for anything in the HDUI. prigramId is not filled in, it must be present in the metadata file so that it can be sent to the TiVo.

It has nothing to do with your provider. I also have Comcast The program information does not come from them, it comes from TiVo. Tivo has been getting it from Gracenote/TMS since they started. They are transitioning to using data from Rovi.

The seriesId & programId used by Rovi are completely different from the ones used by Gracenote. That's why if you pull a recording that has Gracenote metadata to a TiVo that has been transitioned, it doesn't work properly,

There is a way to get push to get full metadata most of the time but the push process itself has been unreliable for the last month.
jcthorne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lpwcomp wrote:

There is a way to get push to get full metadata most of the time but the push process itself has been unreliable for the last month.

Since push has stopped functioning, I have tried to resume using pull and run into no end of frustration. Been unable to get the tivo to recognize a new rovi programId at all using pull. Is it supposed to be sufficient to have the programId : MVxxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx
line in the .txt file? Or does it need to be sent with the description like in a push?
Bwana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lpwcomp wrote:
Once again, episodeNumber is not used for anything in the HDUI. prigramId is not filled in, it must be present in the metadata file so that it can be sent to the TiVo.

Once again, I'm aware that it's not used to display in the HDUI, that's not what I was saying. Before the changeover, season and episode WOULD get displayed when you pulled files without programId in the text file. Since the changeover, it does not.

lpwcomp wrote:
It has nothing to do with your provider. I also have Comcast The program information does not come from them, it comes from TiVo. Tivo has been getting it from Gracenote/TMS since they started. They are transitioning to using data from Rovi.

I'm aware where the data comes from, you stated that episodeNumber was still being provided in text files pulled from the Tivo and I was simply postulating why that is not true for me and the original poster.

lpwcomp wrote:
The seriesId & programId used by Rovi are completely different from the ones used by Gracenote. That's why if you pull a recording that has Gracenote metadata to a TiVo that has been transitioned, it doesn't work properly,

Not relevant, but agreed. As before, I'm pulling episodes with the currently correct seriesId, but no programId. The difference now is the result. Before, it would somehow match up the provided information and display a season, episode and image, now that does not happen.
lpwcomp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcthorne wrote:
lpwcomp wrote:

Since push has stopped functioning, I have tried to resume using pull and run into no end of frustration. Been unable to get the tivo to recognize a new rovi programId at all using pull. Is it supposed to be sufficient to have the programId : MVxxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx
line in the .txt file? Or does it need to be sent with the description like in a push?
I haven't tried a movie since the transition, but when I previuosly tested things, some things had to match up, including seriesId. I could never get full metadata & artwork and have movies group together. It was one or the other.
lpwcomp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite possible that Rovi never assigned season & episode numbers to that series.

You're using the metadata file created by kmttg or pyTivo, correct? And there is no episodeNumber? Is programId also missing? Do season & episode numbers display for the original recording on the TiVo?
judyn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lpwcomp wrote:
It's quite possible that Rovi never assigned season & episode numbers to that series.

You're using the metadata file created by kmttg or pyTivo, correct? And there is no episodeNumber? Is programId also missing? Do season & episode numbers display for the original recording on the TiVo?

The season and episode number do display on the Tivo. Here's what I get in the text file for a Nova that is displayed on the Tivo as S44 E1

I guess I have to have the TV on and look at the Tivo display to get the information before deleting the file from the Tivo...

seriesId: SH0000017787
seriesTitle: NOVA
description: Examining the psychology of a terrorist. Also: the use of modern propaganda and social media tools by radical organizations to cultivate self-radicalized killers. * Copyright Rovi, Inc.
title: NOVA
originalAirDate: 2016-09-07T00:00:00Z
showingBits: 12291
displayMajorNumber: 18
isEpisode: true
displayMinorNumber: 1
programId: EP0000017787-0355681514
callsign: KLRUDT
time: 2016-09-08T01:00:00Z
episodeTitle: 15 Years of Terror
tvRating: PG
vExecProducer: Apsell|Paula S.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: