pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to pyTivo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> General
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
defiantclass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: New to pyTivo Reply with quote

Hello,

I just installed pyTivo today. I have been reading information on the sourceforge page, trying to figure out how to do a couple things, but I haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

1) I want selectively auto transfer TV shows from Tivo to the computer.

2a) I also installed the plug in for the photos, but not until after the fact (once pyTivo was already up and running). I did create new shares for both Music and Photos. I have not seen those listings on the Tivo yet. I did look in the Music and Photos section on Tivo and all I see are the listings provided by the Tivo Desktop connection, which I ultimately want to eliminate.

2b) Is this plug in what is needed for music too? Or there another plug in necessary for music?

3) I'm curious what the advantage is of installing pyTivo "as a service" is over a regular installation? And is it too late to switch if I didn't install it that way for the beginning? I did not install it as a service since I didn't even know what the difference would be.

Sorry for all the questions, just didn't see the answers where I was looking. Perhaps there is a better set of documentation I don't know about?

Thanks!
wmcbrine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. pyTivo doesn't do that.
2a. Restart pyTivo.
2b. Music shares don't need anything extra.
3. If it's installed as a service, it can run without you logging in.

lucasnz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 is asked for a bit because it's a feature in Tivo desktop. I suppose pyTivo could be coded to poll the Tivo (once an hour?) and start transfers based on some logic (series Id?)... I don't have time right now to do this but might be something I'd consider looking at in the future (but don't hold your breath). Alternatively, if someone else wrote the bulk of the code, I'd be happy to implement it into my branch of pytivo.

Luke
wmcbrine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use kmttg for that, it does it better than pyTivo or TiVo Desktop ever will.
defiantclass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I saw various things regarding ways of transferring [u]to[/u] the Tivo, so I thought [u]from[/u] the Tivo might be available as well. I'll try the kmttg. I'm just glad to have pyTivo installed. Tivo Desktop was killing me. It's never worked consistently.

Thanks again!
wmcbrine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyTivo does transfer from the TiVo, it just doesn't auto-transfer. Or reencode, or strip commercials -- other things you can do with kmttg.
defiantclass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood. Thanks a million.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: