pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

issue resolved: TiVo and Pytivo not talking. JUST REBOOT ALL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
benkagan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: issue resolved: TiVo and Pytivo not talking. JUST REBOOT ALL Reply with quote

1. Your operating system
Windows XPSP3 (MCE2002)
2. Your type of TiVo(S2,S3,HD) and Software version(9.1, 9.2)
S3 w/ 11.? (latest software)
3. The location of the of the pyTivo version you downloaded.
c:\programs\pytivo or latest GIT (depending on what you mean)
4. A good description of your problem

OK here we go;

First off, I've been using pytivo successfully for quite a while now and I LOVE IT. (honestly I'm having trouble living without it right now which is making me desperate and probably not thinking clearly)

Two things happened recently which are unrelated but might have a bearing on the situation so I mention them now.
1) I upgraded my TiVo HD from factory (160G?) to a 1T using InstantCake and WinMFS.This process was VERY successful and I was quite happy with the results.
At the time Pytivo was still working correctly and I was able to transfer files without issue.

2) the Media PC running Pytivo crashed and the the HD had to be replaced. I reloaded the PC with a previous HD Image that I had and then proceeded to install PyTiVo with the latest releases.

OK things that I have tried and tested.
using python 2.6.5 (2.7 not support yet?) I have attempted to reinstall pytivo and have tested connectivity at each step.
I'm using the BASIC config format. pytivo will run but the beacon never finds the TiVo.
I went to tivo.com and forced network transfer OFF and then back ON after it had propagated via download.

Here is where I think the trouble is but I'm not sure how to correct it.
I CAN ping the TiVo from my router (WRT54g) but I can NOT ping it from either the Media PC (running Pytivo) or any other computer on my network.

The TiVo is wireless (Tivo brand wireless adapter) over WPA2 G network. Obviously it connects to the internet.

I have the media PC firewall turned OFF even though the exceptions are listed.

My guess is this is probably something obvious that I've missed but I'm so frustrated that I can't see it.

Let me know what other information would be helpful.
Please be my aspirin and take this headache away.

Thank you.

Last edited by benkagan on Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
rdian06

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power off your Tivo, your pyTivo computer and the router.

Then power up the router, wait 2 minutes.

Then power up the Tivo, wait 2 minutes.

Then power up the pyTivo computer and see if things work.
benkagan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I want to Kiss you or Smack you.

I had rebooted both the PC and the TiVo previous because I know sometimes the Tivo needs a fresh start but I never considered rebooting the Router even after I saw that I couldn't ping the Tivo.

My guess is there is probably an ARP flush command I could have used or something similar instead of the reboot but IT F-ing worked so Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: