pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FFmpeg Builds for Mac OS X
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: FFmpeg Builds for Mac OS X Reply with quote

Updated 01/14/13: FFmpeg 1.1

Attached are FFmpeg builds for 64 bit Intel Mac's to use with pyTivo. The builds are stripped of all external encoders (except x264 and libmp3lame) in order to conserve on size. These are optimized for use with pyTivo or similar tools such as StreamBaby and should be able to decode just about anything you can throw at it. I will attempt to keep this updated on a regular basis. If you feel my builds need tweaking or to be patched let me know.
Feedback is most welcome.

==REQUIREMENTS==
CPU: Intel Core2Duo or above
pyTivo: Minimum of 03/14/12 build

PPC or OS X 10.5 users go here.

==INSTRUCTIONS==
- Extract the downloaded file and place in your pyTivo directory
- Ensure that your pyTivo.conf is updated to point to the proper location of FFmpeg (ex: ffmpeg = /Applications/pyTivo/bin/ffmpeg )

==DOWNLOADS==
Latest Build:FFmpeg 1.1

Prior Build:FFmpeg 0.11.1

Older builds have been deleted to make way for newer ones. I do keep some of them, if you need one just ask.

Last edited by Iluvatar on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:51 am; edited 90 times in total
cweb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you updated your builds recently?
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cweb wrote:
Have you updated your builds recently?

I have not however will probably do so this week. There have been a couple downloads but I have not received any feedback so I do not know if the builds even work for anyone else. This was my first go at trying to make a static build with MacPorts.

There have also been some architectural changes in FFmpeg GIT that may not be backwards compatible with the current pyTivo snapshots, specifically with the way stream id's are selected. I haven't tested these yet. However in the interim I can at least release a FFmpeg 0.8 version which should work just fine.
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have uploaded a new build based on the FFmpeg 0.8.3 release. Please let me know how it works for you.
cweb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This build did not work for me.
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cweb wrote:
This build did not work for me.

Any specifics? Did the first build? What type of processor does your Mac have?

I have been running the build on my machine (Intel Core2Duo) since I posted this without issue. It seems to have been downloaded many times. While there is no feedback that has been left I would have to assume that it has worked for others.

I was going to put up build 0.8.5 but it looks like they may push out 0.8.6 in a week or two so I may just wait until then.

If you can post any error output from running my FFmpeg build at the console that would be helpful. If I can figure out what is going wrong I will go ahead and post a new build.
cweb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a brain cramp and tested it with my older snow leopard machine. I'll check next week (lion machine temporarily unavailable) and see how it works there. I'll let you know.

What was your recipe for compiling it?
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cweb wrote:
I had a brain cramp and tested it with my older snow leopard machine. I'll check next week (lion machine temporarily unavailable) and see how it works there. I'll let you know.

The build posted was compiled using Lion so that may account for some issues with Snow Leopard. I had not thought about that.

Can you post the FFmpeg output from your Snow Leopard machine so I can see if the Lion compiler is incompatible?

Quote:

What was your recipe for compiling it?

Rather convoluted but involved MacPorts and me manually editing each dependent port file that FFmpeg relies on to build statically and with Universal support. Then I edited the FFmpeg port file to add patch and add/delete libs to reduce size. Takes about 30 min to setup.

I have some shorthand notes I can post if you want but it would probably look like nonsense to anyone but me. Laughing

I may have to start manually compiling FFmpeg without MacPorts if there is an issue with Snow Leopard compatibility.
cweb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea...was hoping to use it to have an updated version for my snow leopard machine too.

In theory will your compiled version of .86/.86 have support for multiple threads?
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cweb wrote:
Yea...was hoping to use it to have an updated version for my snow leopard machine too.

Can you post the FFmpeg output from your Snow Leopard machine so I can see the error messages? I can't provide any updated builds without knowing what the exact error was.

Quote:

In theory will your compiled version of .86/.86 have support for multiple threads?

In the fashion that pyTivo has utilized multiple threads (mpeg encoding)....FFmpeg has been capable of this since at least 0.5. However the FFmpeg-MT was officially merged with trunk earlier this year providing full multi-threaded decode and encode capabilities for many codecs and my 0.8.x builds do contain this code but pyTivo does not make use of it.
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cweb wrote:

I just installed Snow Leopard 10.6.8 in a virtual machine to test this and I am receiving no errors. Tested just fine. Again this is a 64bit Intel Core2Duo CPU I am testing on.

What is your CPU type?
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have uploaded my latest build. Based on FFmpeg 0.8.6.
cweb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to get your your FFmpeg 0.8.6 to work on my pytivo with snow leopard ... no luck. I sure it is something I am doing wrong, but I am not sure what.

I have the latest pytivo. I've updated ffmpeg versions before, but the compiled versions were ffmpeg.bin with dynamic libraries. I replaced the ffmpeg.bin & libraries with your version ... no luck. I added the suffix .bin .... no luck.

Any ideas how I should correctly install it?
Iluvatar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cweb wrote:
I tried to get your your FFmpeg 0.8.6 to work on my pytivo with snow leopard ... no luck. I sure it is something I am doing wrong, but I am not sure what.

I have the latest pytivo. I've updated ffmpeg versions before, but the compiled versions were ffmpeg.bin with dynamic libraries. I replaced the ffmpeg.bin & libraries with your version ... no luck. I added the suffix .bin .... no luck.

Any ideas how I should correctly install it?

Install instructions are to extract the ffmpeg binary anywhere you wish (pyTivo folder is easiest though) and then edit your pyTivo.conf file to point to the new ffmpeg. No extension necessary.

Can you open the ffmpeg binary using the OS X Terminal app? Just type "/path/to/ffmpeg -i" and it should load the version and compile info.

I have a feeling that your configuration is just pointing to the old ffmpeg or an incorrect path. Post your pyTivo.conf file contents if you want.
cweb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I couldn't get pytivo to work with your ffmpeg. I mucked around and compiled my own version using 0.86 and your configuration options. Did the same steps as above. I took the resulting ffmpeg, added the .bin suffix (could have also removed the .bin from the pathname in pytivo.conf). Vola! It worked. First compile ever. It would be great if I knew why it worked. Our files should be similar. Same configure options. Same main libraries. Perhaps the compile environment was the difference.

Also, I didn't apply the 'non-monotone timestamp' since I don't know how. Did you apply it to the 0.86 ffmpeg? How do you do it?

My environment is a 8 core Mac Pro running Snow Leopard.

All thoughts would be appreciated.

pytivo.conf
[_tivo_SD]

[Brothers and Sisters]
force_alpha = true
type = video
path = /Volumes/Drobo51/TiVoShows/Brothers and Sisters

[Admin]
type = admin

[Server]
tivo_password = xxxxx
ffmpeg = /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg.bin
beacon = 192.168.1.255
debug = True
tivo_username = xxxxx@ameritech.net

[_tivo_HD]

[Tivo Share]
force_alpha = true
type = video
path = /Volumes/Drobo51/TiVoShows

Last edited by cweb on Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: