pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing IPs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> pyTivo
 View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Changing IPs Reply with quote

The other day, I changed from using a six-year-old, Verizon-issued Actiontec as my router to a new Belkin AC750. The surprising thing about this has been that the new router is pretty aggressive about changing the IPs of its DHCP clients... and this turns out to have a very negative affect on TiVo MRV and TTG.

The TiVos take a while to update the NPL when an IP changes, so I'd click on the icon for another TiVo and just get an error message. I even, more than once, lost access to a TiVo while streaming from it. I rebooted several times before I realized what the problem was.

The TiVos do catch up with the changes eventually, if left alone. But for me, the solution is going to be assigning static IPs to my TiVos for the first time, after all these years.

That's MRV/MRS. While this was happening, a TiVo would also sometimes lose track of the pyTivo server -- although that's always been on a static IP -- and, unlike with the TiVos, the pyTivo icon didn't come back.

In general, the TiVo is much keener to hold on to other TiVos. Recently I've been seeing ghost TiVos, that haven't been connected for days, or even weeks, show in the NPL (HDUI only). They're greyed out and exclamation-pointed, but they never go away, until I select the icon and then choose "I no longer have this TiVo" -- which sounds ominously permanent, but really isn't. Yet, pyTivo servers are removed immediately, and stay gone.

Anyway, with all this, I've gained what I hope is some insight into the kind of connectivity problems that I've often read about here, but seldom experienced myself. That doesn't translate into code yet, but here's hoping.

My pyTivo fork . My page
Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> pyTivo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: