pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio MP3s Clipped/Slow H.264 Video Transcode?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support
 View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Audio MP3s Clipped/Slow H.264 Video Transcode? Reply with quote

I just started using pyTivo yesterday with my new TiVo HD, as a replacement for the very disappointing TiVo Desktop, and so far I'm extremely impressed.

It transcodes and streams SD DIVX AVIs at 2-2.5x real time, even on my lowly laptop, with both the computer and TiVo on wireless, and manages about 0.8x real-time even with 720p MKVs. PAL-originated material looks great too, with virtually no juddering (I removed the "-fr 29.97" option from ffmpeg_prams, as suggested in the docs, although I don't know if this was really necessary).

I have two problems, however:

Firstly, I made it publish my MP3 library, and it works fine, except that a small amount (maybe 1 second) is missing from the start of every track, whether a fresh selection, or letting it play through.

The TiVo is connected to my TV via HDMI (video and audio), so perhaps it's a handshaking or buffering issue with that, although the TV doesn't change video modes on playing an MP3 (I have the TiVo set to "Native" and it seems to stay at 720p when in the menus) so I don't see why.

Secondly, I tried streaming an H.264 MP4 Handbrake DVD rip (done on my iMac), and it didn't like it much. It claimed to have done 1 minute after nearly 30 minutes of waiting, but on playing it threw up the "please wait for more to transfer" message immediately, over a black screen.

Note that TiVo Desktop didn't like this file either, having only transferred 15 minutes after leaving it for four hours, although I can't actually remember whether it played that 15 minutes or not (sorry). It plays just fine on the iMac, though.

I can live with the latter problem, especially as there are presumably simpler ways to go from DVD MPEG2 to TiVo MPEG2, but the MP3 audio problem is a shame.

Any suggestions welcome.

pyTivo version: latest (downloaded last night)
TiVo version: latest (activated on Monday)
Server: Windows XP Pro SP2, Dell Celeron-M 1.6 laptop, QuickTime 7.x
Handbrake: latest, running on OS X 10.5.2, iMac Alu 2.4GHz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: