pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone know the throughput of TiVos Ethernet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
krkeegan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Anyone know the throughput of TiVos Ethernet? Reply with quote

I was tinkering today and I noticed that the throughput of my TiVoHD's wired ethernet is no where near 100baseT speeds.

I tried to retrieve an HD recording that i pulled off of my TiVoHD using ToGo. The recording is almost exactly 2 Gigabytes for 30 minutes. I tried to watch it live, but no go.

So I unplugged the TiVo from the ethernet and plugged in my computer and retreived the same file through pyTivo the exact same way the TiVo would request it. I was able to get speeds of about 4 MegaBytes per second meaning the file would finish in about 8 minutes.

So what gives, is this just me?? This seems to suggest that TiVo's maximum throughput is somewhere around 1 MegaByte per second.
krkeegan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aboo, I saw this after:
Section I Question 14-15

Man I hope that can be fixed at least a little bit.
wgw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that sounds about right.

From the MRV/TTG sticky on the Series 3 forum:

Quote:
The TiVoHD can transfer recordings about 60% as fast as the Series3. TiVoToGo throughput with TivoHD is up to 10Mbps when both tuners are set to channels you don't receive, 8.0-8.5Mbps when watching or recording SD channels, and 6.0-7.0Mbps when watching or recording HD channels.

But don't knock it. I have to use BWMeter to limit my TTCB transfer speed to 8mbps or less. Otherwise I get lots of pixelation when playing back TTCB files on my S3. So while the S3 is faster, I can't utilize the speed except with TTG. Apparently Tivo HD users don't complain about TTCB pixelation like S3 owners do because their transfer speed is naturally limited to a speed the tivo's mpeg->ty conversion software can handle.

PaulS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgw wrote:
Yep, that sounds about right.

From the MRV/TTG sticky on the Series 3 forum:

Quote:
The TiVoHD can transfer recordings about 60% as fast as the Series3. TiVoToGo throughput with TivoHD is up to 10Mbps when both tuners are set to channels you don't receive, 8.0-8.5Mbps when watching or recording SD channels, and 6.0-7.0Mbps when watching or recording HD channels.

But don't knock it. I have to use BWMeter to limit my TTCB transfer speed to 8mbps or less. Otherwise I get lots of pixelation when playing back TTCB files on my S3. So while the S3 is faster, I can't utilize the speed except with TTG. Apparently Tivo HD users don't complain about TTCB pixelation like S3 owners do because their transfer speed is naturally limited to a speed the tivo's mpeg->ty conversion software can handle.

Interesting. I was aware of (and have suffered from) the pixelation of TTCB transfers on my S3, but didn't really follow the discussion on TCF. Interesting to note that throttling the bandwidth is the remedy. Let's hope that TiVo fixes this in the upcoming release.

Does this internal limitation of the S3 affect pyTivo operations at all, or is it exclusively a problem of .tivo transfers ?
krkeegan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulS wrote:
Does this internal limitation of the S3 affect pyTivo operations at all, or is it exclusively a problem of .tivo transfers ?
Umm, I am sure it still has some effect, but so far I dont think you would notice it.

I suspect the pixelation is an artifact of the conversion of mpeg -> ty. Since this conversion is not occurring on incoming transfers this probably isn't an issue.

However, I am nearly finished with the addition of a ToGo feature to the admin plugin. Which is how I noticed this issue.

It sounds like maybe I should see if there is a way to build in bandwidth throttling, but don't get your hopes up, I think this type of throttling would have to function all the way down at the transport level. I suspect that in order to slow it down I would have to delay the ACK packets.

But maybe if I just slow down the read() function it will propagate downwards.
wgw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my thread where I discovered the problem/solution.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=379388

At the time I did not realize it was an S3 only issue due to the higher transfer rates until I read several reports from HD owners that said they did not have the same problem.

krkeegan, it would be tremendous if you can estabish a pytivo bandwidth limiter when transferring compatible mpegs so that they do not exceed 8mbps. To be on the safe side, I limit the transfer rate of my TTCB transfers to 6mbps.

I'm looking forward to TiVo's next software upgrade though. I'm hoping that they fix their mpeg->ty problem. But if not, a pytivo solution would be great.

Last edited by wgw on Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
wgw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulS wrote:

It affects all transfers from the PC to the tivo of all .tivo files as well as compatible mpegs. Tivo to PC transfers are not affected.

krkeegan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I completely misunderstood you, I thought this was a slowdown from tivo->PC.

I read your post on TCF and from what I understand it sounds like while Series 3 owners may be able to transfer at a higher rate this comes at the cost of some pixelation issues. You seem to have limited your BW to near the same limit that I have seen naturally in the TiVoHD.

Do you know when the next software release is due?
wgw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last report I saw said a release was due this month.
TexasGrillChef

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiVo Desktop 2.6 has been released. It seems to work very well transfering HD files to my TiVo S3/HD units without any problems.

Much faster than before. Although the HD unit is still slower then my S3. In either direction.

I use both TD2.6 and pyTiVo. As the new features of 2.6 are quite nice.

TGC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: