pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Absolute neophyte... am I getting this right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> General
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcampbell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Absolute neophyte... am I getting this right? Reply with quote

I don't have a tivo (yet) and am considering dropping cable and going with tivo premiere and and OTA setup, and then filling in other content ... from elsewhere. Before I do, I want to make sure I understand how all this works. Please someone let me know if I've gotten it all correct.

I get a Tivo with an OTA/Antenna setup. I can now record, schedule, etc. OTA broadcasts just like I can now with my older Direcv/Tivo.

I get get other non-OTA content from usenet, etc. (ethically, legality aside; I'm not here to debate that, I just want to understand the mechanics and possibilities.) Those I store on an external USB drive on a PC (Windows 7).

I can get a Wifi dongle for the Tivo to allow it to be on the same LAN/subnet as my Win 7 box, so it can hit addresses inside my LAN and thus access the shared drive on the aforementioned Win 7 box.

On the Win 7 box, I install and run pyTivo and tell it where the media is. It sets up a server on the Win 7 box that the Tivo connects to over the LAN to see what content is there, and Tivo shows that to me on some menu.

I can select that content, and when I do pyTivo converts it to Tivo format so I can watch it on my Tivo.

Is that about right?

Once that is all done, is the content then ON the tivo to be deleted at will? (Does it also get deleted from the media drive, or just the tivo copy?)

I'm assuming StreamBaby is about the same, just that the content comes across as a stream rather than converted and then watched?

Many thanks in advance!
philhu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, basically right. You WILL need to subscribe to the Tivo Guide service or the Tivo WILL be a brick. All you do on setup is specify only antenna input. I have a TivoHD in that mode right now. Gets OTA as well as access to my 12TB NAS of tv shows, and internet services provided by Tivo, like NetFlix, etc.
orangeboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to look at this Windows batch file I wrote to "convert" compatible mkv files to mp4 files. With proper mp4 files, you can use pyTivo to "push" the video to the TiVo without transcoding. This is a longer thread that has a bit more background.
mcampbell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys; I've just ordered a Tivo so am anxious to try all this.

Orangeboy - what you wrote is a way to basically "pre-transcode" an MKV file so it doesn't have to be done "on the fly", right? I'm new to a lot of this so apologies if I misunderstand.
txporter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcampbell wrote:

Orangeboy - what you wrote is a way to basically "pre-transcode" an MKV file so it doesn't have to be done "on the fly", right? I'm new to a lot of this so apologies if I misunderstand.

What orangeboy wrote will allow you to re-mux the mkv files to mp4. This is done to avoid a transcode. pytivo can push h.264 in a mp4 container without transcoding to Series3+ Tivos. If the video is in a mkv container, it will transcode it to MPEG2 rather than sending it up as-is.
orangeboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

txporter wrote:
mcampbell wrote:

What orangeboy wrote will allow you to re-mux the mkv files to mp4. This is done to avoid a transcode. pytivo can push h.264 in a mp4 container without transcoding to Series3+ Tivos. If the video is in a mkv container, it will transcode it to MPEG2 rather than sending it up as-is.

Thanks txporter, well put. I didn't want to confuse mcampbell with terms like remux, and opted to use just the "convert" term. But yes, the batch file (and underlying executables it calls) will extract the video and audio streams from a compatible mkv file, and wrap a new mp4 container around those streams. The transcoding to mpeg2 can take a painfully long time if using an older machine, like I do. I setup a google code site last night for mkv2tivomp4 here: http://code.google.com/p/mkv2tivomp4/, with links to the executables.

The site is disgustingly incomplete, but it's on my To Do List. Embarassed
mcampbell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. My tivo hasn't arrived yet but I'm playing with a bunch of the pieces and parts of pyTivo to get it going. Orangeboy, this is certainly not YOUR problem, but maybe you've run across it; I've put the shortcut to the batch file in my "shell:sendto" folder, but when I right-click something, it doesn't show up in the drop down. (Windows 7 64 bit pro). I notice that when I installed skype, it had put its own shortcut there and IT doesn't show up either. Googling has only shown to do what I did, but it's not working. I've even got the directory to the batch file in my PATH. Any clues on what's the problem here?

I should note that when I run the batch file from the command prompt with the name of the mkv file as its one argument, it seems to work fine; it's only the sendto that isn't working. That skype did this on its own, and it also doesn't work, makes me think something is wrong with windows or security or something along those lines.
orangeboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcampbell wrote:
Thanks, everyone. My tivo hasn't arrived yet but I'm playing with a bunch of the pieces and parts of pyTivo to get it going. Orangeboy, this is certainly not YOUR problem, but maybe you've run across it; I've put the shortcut to the batch file in my "shell:sendto" folder, but when I right-click something, it doesn't show up in the drop down. (Windows 7 64 bit pro). I notice that when I installed skype, it had put its own shortcut there and IT doesn't show up either. Googling has only shown to do what I did, but it's not working. I've even got the directory to the batch file in my PATH. Any clues on what's the problem here?

I should note that when I run the batch file from the command prompt with the name of the mkv file as its one argument, it seems to work fine; it's only the sendto that isn't working. That skype did this on its own, and it also doesn't work, makes me think something is wrong with windows or security or something along those lines.

Is the SendTo folder there at all? I'm still running XP, and *maybe* touched Win 7 once. Another option is to add mkv2mp4 in the context menu for .mkv files. There's a couple of ways to do this by hand, or there are programs to do it for you.

Here's what I did:
I opened a command prompt and typed:
Code:
assoc |find ".mkv"

The result was:
Code:
.mkv=VLC.mkv

I then opened a new text file, and added this:
Code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VLC.mkv\shell\Remux_to_mp4]
@="Remux to mp4"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VLC.mkv\shell\Remux_to_mp4\command]
@="mkv2mp4.bat \"%1\""

Note all the places that "VLC.mkv" are located. You'll need to update those locations with whatever the results are of the "assoc" command issued earlier.

I saved the text file as "VLC.mkv.reg". I then double-clicked the newly created reg file which merged it into the registry. Now when I right-click an mkv file, I have an option to "Remux to mp4".

Probably a little easier than navigating to the SendTo folder all the time...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: