pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index pyTivo Discussion Forum
Answers and the development of pyTivo a TiVo transcoding server

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1080p MKV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
teddykgb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: 1080p MKV Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm having an issue when attempting to watch an Avatar blu-ray rip that a encoded to an MKV using RipBot. The video stutters enough that to me it's unwatchable. The audio plays fine.

I've read various things on here are fps, etc. It is currently a AVC video stream at 23.976 and is AC3 5.1 audio. Windows 7 64 bit. PyTivo version wmcbrine 2009.2.19-RC1 and Tivo Premiere.

What's the problem? Is is having to transcode it when playing it? If I change it to an MP4 will that help?

Sorry, I'm new to PyTivo but love it so far. Problem is almost all of my movies are in MKV's right now, so hoping not to have to re-encode them to watch on my Tivo.

Also, bigger question, I've seen this debated all over the place, but what are the pros and cons of MKV vs. MP4?

Thanks!

Ted
wmcbrine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, MKVs have to be transcoded. Remuxing them to MP4 will help, but only if you use the "Push" interface to transfer (i.e., you initiate the transfer from your web browser).

From our perspective -- in regards to the TiVo only -- there are no pros to MKV. The TiVo natively understands MP4, but not MKV.

teddykgb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

What are your thoughts on MP4 vs MKV on a broader perspective? I watch the majority of my movies on an HTPC hooked up to a different TV.

Any negatives to converting everything to MP4 in terms of sound or picture quality?
wmcbrine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you remux instead of transcoding, there will be no difference in quality.

Since I watch everything on my TiVo (to the extent possible), I haven't really looked into what MKV has to offer. I'm sure others can answer that better.

teddykgb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Any recommendations on a speedy method to convert MKV to MP4? RipBot obviously takes forever....
jcthorne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head over to tivocommunity forums and have a search for orangeboy's batch file. Does a pretty good job of remuxing mkv to mp4 without reencoding. A full length movie should only take a few minutes.

I use MeGUI to extract the streams and remux them into an mp4 container. Its a great tool, but if this is the only task you want to do, not worth the learning curve. I use it for almost all video and audio file manipulations.

As far as mp4 files, have had no diffeculty using them on tivo, the pc and on a WDTV Live we use in our motorhome. Same file plays on all three just fine.
teddykgb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the batch file. I found one last night that seems to work great so far. It's called MKV2VOB. Freeware and fast. Works great and takes care of any necessary audio stream conversions too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    pyTivo Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: